WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Monday, May 21, 2012

Zucchini & Choko Slice


How many knuckles does it take to make a great slice? Three to be exact....well today anyway. With band-aids in place I continued grating until all the veg were done. Who knew a few pieces of skin could make such a delicious slice. Seriously though; there was no skin added, but I've never added choko to a slice before. With only two young zucchini I needed to increase the mixture. Hence another use for a Choko or three.


Zucchini & Choko Slice

8 medium eggs whisked well
add to that 2/3 cup of Olive Oil
then mix in 1 heaped cup of Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
mix well and put aside.

Now in another larger bowl grate the following:
2 zucchini
2 choko
1/2 a carrot
1/2 a sweet potato
1 cup of tasty cheese
then finely chop 1 brown onion & a small bunch of parsley

Mix all this together, then add the egg mixture and stir well.

When you fill your trays, you can fill right to the top, it will rise while baking, but fall when cooling.....
After pouring into two trays,....if your like me you might just have some mixture left over...so if you do...add another egg, a tablespoon or so of flour, and add in another grated choko....then you will not only have two large slices, but enough slice baked for lunch.
Lunch
Grease your trays well, then bake in a moderate oven of 170o C for 20 minutes for the small ones...and an extra 15 to 20 minutes for the larger baking trays. It was a delicious surprise for mum when she returned from Bingo today.
I have enough to serve for dinner tonight, and one for the freezer. Yummmmm!

Have you ever added choko to a slice?

Please forgive the poor quality of the photos today, I guess my camera was having a bad day and maybe I need to refresh my rechargeable batteries. 

5 comments:

  1. yum looks delicious! really wish my garden was a little more productive!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, that looks yummy - I empathize with your knuckle situation, though, as I have done the same thing more times than I like to admit!

    I have never used a choko, which I think is called chayote in these parts, and is somewhat exotic! Summer squashes in general, and potatoes, do get baked or fried in with eggs, though. I like the sweet potato element...must try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of the visitors of your site. I hope you will show more such material or data to put in our use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking for a choko slice recipe, since zucchinis (imported) are so expensive here in Vanuatu, I found this page. I made the slice with just chokos (and the other things - carrot, onion etc.) and no zucchinis. I realised later too that I'd forgotten the sweet potato..... and we have so many! Still it turned out fine. I added lots of my favourite herb, coriander, some green onions, bit of salt & pepper, it's great, if a little bland for some of us. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you tell me do you peel the choko before grating it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...