WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

CHEAPER CHEESE MAKING AT HOME

SPECIALTY ITEMS NEEDED WHEN MAKING CHEESE AT HOME.
·         CHEESE WAX (softer than candlewax)
·         CULTURES
Some cultures to order to make some common cheeses are:

 
·         Mesophilic starter culture  - Gouda, Colby, Camembert
·         Thermophilic starter culture – Emmental, Gruyere, Parmesan, Romano, Bra, Mozzarella
·         Propioni   Shermanii powder – Gruyere
·         Lipase Powder – Romano, Feta
·         Pencillium  Candidum – Camembert
  • Rennet tablets
 
·         CHEESE MOULDS

 
ITEMS FROM YOUR KITCHEN WHEN MAKING CHEESE
·         1x 10L+ Stainless Steel Pot (To heat the milk in)
·         1x Larger Pot to put the Milk Pot in   (to act as a double boiler)
·         1x Stainless Steel Stirring Spoon
·         1x Long thermometer (You may have one that connects to the side of the pan, I have a glass one, I tie it to the handle of the pot with a rubber band)
·         1 small digital timer (It is far easier to set the timer for each step, that way you don’t become a clock slave)
·         Measuring jug you can place in sterilising solution
·         Extra pot (to store whey in while waiting to make ricotta)
·         Colander that fits over the extra pot to drain whey.
·         An assortment of cheese moulds depending on the type of cheese you are making
·         Cheese cloth, (also known as butter cloth, but a few layers of normal cheese cloth would do)
·         2 to 3 litre plastic container (to make up brine solution)
·         Paper towel  (to pat cheese dry.)
·         2 L pot (to heat water in if heating/cooking your curds)
·         Bowl (To sit mould in to catch whey when filling cheese mould)

 
·         If waxing your cheese, you will need cheese wax, and a double boiler to heat the wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...