WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

MAKING Low Allergy Body Soap

LOW ALLERGY BODY SOAP

Engredients

500 grams of caustic soda
1 ½ litres of rain water (or distilled water)
1.5 kg  rendered animal fat 
1.5 kg of olive oil. (Please measure by weight.)
Directions
With great care and wearing the rubber gloves and some eye protection, add the caustic soda to the water in a large plastic bucket....and stir until dissolved. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area and take extra care not to breath in the fumes. There will be a chemical reaction with will cause the water and caustic soda to heat up. This liquid will not only get hot it will now be capable of burning you like an acid so be very careful. Set aside to cool till lukewarm.
WARNING - Do not add water to caustic soda, you must add caustic soda to water - in that order.
In another pot heat the fat and olive oil until it is all liquid and add this to the bucket of caustic solution. Stir for 5 minutes. At this stage you may add a small amount of essential oil to give the soap a fragrance.  As I wanted a low allergy soap, I stayed pure to the recipe, not adding any essential oil to perfume the soap.   Using a stick mixer, mix until you reach trace, then pour into shallow containers that you have sprayed with the cooking spray or olive oil. (It took me 9 minutes to make trace, and this will vary according to the temperatures of your oils.)

After pouring both oils into the caustic solution.


You can see this has reached trace, see how it is doubling up on itself towards the left of the bucket.

Keep trays of soap in a warm place for a day.


The following day, turn your soap out onto a towel, wearing your rubber gloves, as the mix is still caustic. You will have to come back tomorrow, to see it cut.
Cut into bars. Let the soap rest and dry for 6 weeks before using.

1 comment:

  1. see "Cutting the soap" for a follow up....I have been using this soap for washing my hair...my boys are also converted now and refuse to use shampoo now...It's really a lovely bar for your body and hair.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...