WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Upside down Pear & Ginger Dessert

I'd like to say I have been flat out here at my blog, but lately life has just gotten in the way...and before you know it; the day is ending....Night seems to come so quickly now...and we have had an enormous amount of rain in the last two days.....I have so much to tell you...I have been very busy taking photos of things that have been happening....but unfortunately I just haven't had time to write. I was stunned when I came back on to find my visitors had climbed another 2000 hits, and I have some more new followers....VeggieGobbler, AfricanAussie, Linda, Angela, Leonie, Miri & Tammy...(Hi Tammy)..Welcome to my blog!

I have some exciting news...I recently met up with Tammy from the Down to Earth Forum....she also blogged about out visit here. Tammy has a few blogs, she is one very creative lady...it's certainly worth having a look around her blogs....While there time slipped by so easily that we didn't even think to eat...chatting through lunch time....I guess sometimes you just forget to eat when you are in good company.
I took a few books with me, and sitting at the table Tammy browsed through my books and I browsed through hers.

Tammy has a lovely garden, including many fruit trees along with 5 plum trees & a lovely Golden Delicious Apple....which was discovered that day....Until my visit, Tammy had thought it was a crab-apple tree. I convinced her to try one off the ground, as she had left them be.....The apples were slightly stunted but I found a larger one amongst the leaves...and gave it to Tammy.....She actually tasted it...I thought they were lovely...but I think if I had bitten deeper, I would have found they were ridden by fruit-fly.....I didn't have the nerve to Tammy that though...as I knew it was a huge step for her to try something from the ground. (Sorry Tammy, but at least you have a Golden Delicious Apple Tree now, and not a Crab Apple Tree). I'd much rather the Golden Delicious.

Could I tell Tammy that she could collect all the apples from the ground, cut away the bad bits...and press them making apple juice...or even ferment them to make vinegar......?
I wonder if she would gather them...that is if she had time...she is one very busy gal.

While there Tammy had baked this lovely light and fluffy Upside Down Pear & Ginger Dessert....We enjoyed a slice while browsing through the books.......I knew right then, that my family would love this dessert.

You know; when you have had a good hearty meal......
and there is dessert to come, but you just can't fit it in......
You could fit this in!         It's so light and fluffy.

Upon coming home...I think the second day back, I cooked the dessert to the recipe...but now I have cooked it again, using apples and I also cooked a 4 batch....this way the oven is being used to it's fullest, We get to have the dessert again ....and there are 3 more desserts for the freezer...to be enjoyed at a later date.
It can't get much better than this....Sarah Lee eat your heart out...!!.

Here is the recipe for ONE BATCH and a few photos of the 4 batch  I made today....

UPSIDE DOWN PEAR & GINGER DESSERT


For the topping, which is actually the first layer in the pan.
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon melted Butter
1 firm, sliced Pear
Set the oven to 160 degrees Celsius...Place the melted butter in a loaf tin, then sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter. Arrange the sliced Pear on top of the sugar mix....arrange in a pattern if you wish.

Now the batter.
150 grams Butter
60 grams Brown Sugar
80 grams of Flour...(I used Plain Wholemeal Four)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 teaspoons ginger (I used the bottled crushed ginger)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk (this wasn't included in the original recipe, but I felt it was needed, and so did Tammy)


Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat in the egg. Add the remaining ingredients, and mix well.
Pour the batter over the sliced Pear and bake for about 30 minutes....
Allow to set in the loaf tin until cool to the touch...(I found a better result when turning the dessert up-side down, if you allow it to cool first). 


You will certainly enjoy this dessert...I told my boys they were in for a treat and that it even trumped my Golden Syrup Dumplings.......they couldn't believe me, but after tasting the new dessert......they agreed.


Thanks again Tammy for a lovely day, and a lovely recipe.








I'm so lucky....we have three more of these in the freezer..
desserts can be part of your stockpile too!

Do you stockpile any desserts in your freezer?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Nelly Mary. I read about your visit to Tammy's on her blog. Sounds like you had a ball. I'm another one who loves hot desserts and puddings in the winter time. I'll definitely give this one a try. I made a pudding from Lady Flo's cookbook "Classic Country Collection" last night, called a "Sunny Day Pudding". It does our family of 4 two nights so no real need to stockpile. If anything, I always do up a huge supply of crumble mix and have stewed fruit in tubs ready for a quick fruit crumble.

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I really must try that dessert. I have pears here that are ripening quickly so will make this tomorrow. Thank you so much for this recipe and Tammy too! Sounds like you two had fun together...

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I will definitely give this a try! Thanks for sharing, glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a lovely time with you too Narelle and lol about the fruit fly in the apple as the one I bit into had two definite dark spots under the surface that my inexperienced eye suspected to be infestation of something but I didn't want to tell you you encouraged me to eat a wormy apple! ha. The recipe for the cake is linked back to its original owner on my blog and I may have to think about freezing some too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nelly mary you have a wonderful blog..I'm going to be visiting ALOT..this pear and Ginger recipe looks devine..

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right about this dessert nellymary. I made it today and it is all gone already. I have posted on my blog and left a link to yours.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne, that crumble mix sounds good, would you mind sharing it?
    Tania, thanks for the link...it sure is a good one....
    Homemade Alaska, come back and tell us what you think, once you make it, thanks for the welcome back.
    Tammy, that's so funny about the fruit-fly...it made me chuckle reading your comment.
    Joyfulhomemaker, Thank-you so much...I hope you find lots of useful things, stick around wont you?
    Jay, what happened? I hope you still made it....come back and tell us how yummy it was.

    Sorry ladies that it took me so long to come back and reply...I thought I had covered this one already.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...