WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Friday, December 16, 2011

Beetroot - the longer variety

I love home preserved pickled beetroot.
Here are the beets I harvested from my garden the other day....I prefer the longer variety for smaller spaces.
It makes sense....less space, but more slices......
Imagine if you had plenty of space to grow these beets.....I bet your harvest would be twice as big.



Don't forget to harvest the thicker of the stems too.
PICKLED BEETROOT....the recipe I went by

4 large beetroot
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 cloves
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Wash beetroot thoroughly and cook in water until tender......
after cooking the beetroot, remove them and cook the stems too.



2. Cool and remove the skin....wearing gloves prevents your hands being stained.


3. Cut beetroot into slices, dices or julienne strips.


4. Place all other ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
5. Simmer for 5 minutes, then strain...keeping the liquor.
6. Pack beetroot into hot sterilised jars, and top up with the vinegar mixture.


7. Using the handle of a spoon, poke the handle down to the bottom of each jar....moving the chopped beet from side to side......this expels any remaining air which would contaminate the final product.


8. Top up each jar again, with more of the vinegar mixture.
9. Place sterilised lids on jars....and heat in a moderate oven for 45 minutes.
10. Turn the oven off, and allow the jars to cool in the oven.


Each jar lid should pop down when touched.
Most will do this during cooling anyway. 
If any lids do not pop down, store these jars in the fridge and use them first.

Do you grown and preserve your own beets?
Would you consider growing this longer variety? 



15 comments:

  1. Just put a bunch of those in, here in Tasmania, hope they grow as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't do beetroot this year, and boy do I regret it. We love pickled beets with shepherd's pie, it's just so good,

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those beetroots look so healthy! Beautiful job on the preserving - you'll enjoy those for months to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of those long beetroots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good, I would def be interested in growing this variety. I have pickled my own beetroots and the family loved them

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be looking for seed for these longer beets next year, and will hope my results are even half as successful as yours - they look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grow these in FNQ. I make beet kvass (nourishing traditions recipe) and drink the liquid then feed the fermented beets to the cows as a special treat when milking. Love them! Beetroots are a great liver tonic - especially when they are naturally fermented.

    Cheers, Karma

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the long variety too. They are easier to grate into salads.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually haven't tried fresh beetroot in a salad yet...lol....but while it was cooling, I couldn't help pinching it...there was probably nearly another jar....hehe hehhe

    ReplyDelete
  10. We planted the round beetroot this year but will try this variety next. Ours are ready to harvest now so will try your yummy Pickled Beetroot recipe. We have been having it roasted and cold in salads so far but this way I can keep some for later. :-) Thanks for sharing the recipe

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nellymary,
    I do hope you are having better weather than we have had this morning down here in the lower Shoalhaven. It's been bucketing down. Thanks so much for the info about putting the filled jars in the oven. I've haven't done this before and consequently I have had to use up precious fridge space. I also use much larger jars but I love your idea to use the smaller jars, especially if they don't need to go in the fridge. Can you tell us a little more about using the stalks of the beetroot. i have never heard of this before. Do you use them as you would the actual root of the plant? I am finding your blog so informative and i thank you for the effort you put into it.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gail, well the rain hasn't stopped here either....every time I get a chance to get outside and work, down comes another heavy pour of rain.....
    I like using the smaller jars, as I find it only lasts a few meals and it's finished, so no waste there, not that there would be any anyway....it's so delicious.
    The stalks I always pinch, pick and use raw in salads, which just taste like a mild beetroot flavour...so I just figured I would par boil them too...and bottle as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Nellymary,
    I'll try them in my salads.They would add more colour as well.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. Be the envy of your friends...rub cooked beetroot over your face, neck and arms and, if you are from England, it will look like you have just been on holiday somewhere nice and warm. Do I win a prize?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankyou for the tip on putting the jars when full in the oven. I bottled beetroot today and the jars cooled down a bit too much and didnt seal with the metal lids. They are in the oven as I type.
    I have grown my own beetroot for the second year running and just love it. I dont have a spleen and was advised to eat lots of beetroot. Just very lucky its a food i have always loved.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...