WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Green Tomato Pickles

With the huge stockpile that I have, I have been trying to avoid the shops, not going on the weekend like normal.....I think most of the time we go shopping out of habbit....not because we have to, just because we have gotten into this mundane routine, that really isn't necessary, especially once you start building your stockpile.  That is one of the reasons I am building my stockpile, to limit trips to the shops, to have things on hand to make whatever you want , when ever you want...

I wholeheartedly support stockpiling, its like having a mini shop in your own home, with everything personalised to your own needs....what more could you want?

Well, today I finally had to do some shopping; as you know I got all those green tomatoes on Saturday.....well it's pickling time here now....I got a good bargain with onions today...10kg for $9.99 . That's not bad, but now there are plenty of onions in this house, as I got 10kg of spanish onions about 3 weeks ago for the same price....One week after getting the spanish onions I found them in another shop for $26.99 for the same 10kg bag, so I definately got a bargain there......so on my list to do, first up is finish the mushroom ketchup I am making.....when I am finished, there will be a tutorial.....I may just be on the pc a bit more tomorrow, resting in between chopping onions, green tomatoes, oh and more onions.....I have a lovely recipe for pickled onions, last season I came up with an idea of slicing the onions first, that way they can be used on a sandwich as well.....Around here they are so popular...I usually don't get to keep them in my stockpile for long.

As I was saying....my list for tomorrow, or the next few days is:

  • finish the Mushroom Ketchup (check in over the next few days for the recipe and tutorial)
  • make Green Tomato Pickles (chop and salt overnight)
  • make Pickled Onions ( chop and salt overnight or at least 4 hours)


GREEN TOMATO PICKLES.

4 pound green tomatoes      
1 pound onions
1 pound young beans          
1 small cauliflower.

Cut up and cover with water and 1 cup of salt.  Leave overnight then strain off water.
Add 1 ½ pints of vinegar to veges, bring to boil and cook for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally
Mix together in a bowl the following:
1 cup plain flour
1 level tspn ground ginger
1 level tspn mustard powder
1 desertspoon curry powder
1 tablspoon tumeric
1 pound sugar.
Now mix the dry ingredients with vinegar and add to tomatoes.
Boil 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly
Bottle in sterilised jars and cover while hot.

I will be cutting up the tomatoes, onions, beans and cauliflower tomorrow...so check back in a few days time to see how I went after chopping up all those onions. By then the Mushroom Ketchup will be finished too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...