WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

GREEN TOMATO SALSA in my stockpile

When you get a bargain, think about the amount of work you have ahead of you.....did I? When I got that heap of green tomatoes? Well, not really....It can be hard to judge just how much a box of tomatoes weighs.....believe me.

From these green tomatoes SO FAR:

I have prepared and salted (for overnight) 8lb of green tomatoes, 1 cauliflower, 2 lb brown onions, 2 lb spanish onions.. This is for the Green Tomatoe Pickles.....I adjusted the recipe, because DH put in a request
that there be no beans in the pickles....No beans it is.

here is where I am upto with the Green Tomato Pickles....



I have also made a lovely batch of Salsa, using 8lb of the green tomatoes. This is one that keeps...It is a new recipe to me and my family, and everyone loves the smell of it.....I put aside some for everyone to try...OMG it is really yummy....I bet it will be even better, when it goes with chips or CC's.

My feet are killing me, I have aches where I shouldn't but oh the bounty of new foods in the stockpile.....well it's worth it....I'll be fine tomorrow and I'll do it all over again.....Am I cooking tea tonight? No way.....but I'll put some Turkey legs on for tea tomorrow.

So here's the recipe for todays SALSA

CANNED GREEN TOMATO SALSA

Ingredients
8 lbs green tomatoes (approximately 16 cups chopped)
6 large onions
6 green peppers
3 sweet red peppers
3 – 6 jalapeƱo peppers (depending on taste) (I didn't put these in)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped  (I used celery)
½ cup salt
½ tablespoon black pepper  (I used white pepper)
Cayenne pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp)
3 cups vinegar
1 cup lemon juice
Here are 4 of the 8lb of green tomatoes, I mixed 4lb of green, with 4lb of coloured tomatoes. See below for the coloured ones. They are just starting to ripen.

Method
Coarsely chop tomatoes, onions, and peppers
I used the wizzer, to chop all the veges. It's much quicker.
Combine all ingredients in a large kettle and mix well. See below.


While this is boiling, prepare your jars, make sure they are clean and sterilised. If you look at my jars below, you will notice I have them layed out on the bench with their lid sitting the same. By doing this, I know where each lid is for each jar....It's always worked for me.


Another tip I find useful, is to use a jug that has an open handle....that way if you need to put down the jug, you simply hang it on the inside of the preserving pan.


Heat to boiling, then simmer uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring frequently
Ladle mixture into hot pint or quart jars, filling to within ¼ inch from top.


You can see here, the fill line is just past the lip of the jar...as the jar changes shape at the top. Doing this eliminates an air pocket because of the shape of the jar.

Now wipe jar rims with a damp cloth or sponge. I use the hottest water I can handle.
Place lids on jars. All the while, being careful not to burn yourself. The jars of salsa are very hot.
Once cleaned and the lids are on, spread them out on the bench and leave to cool. Once cooled, label clearly with the title, and the date. Do this before storing in your stockpile.

I don't process in the hot-water bath, but it's up to you if you decide to do the water bath.
To water bath, or not to water bath...there is much debate on this on the internet.
check it out for yourself, then you can decide if water bathing is for you.......

Instructions for water bathing.
Process in hot-water bath or steam canner: 15 minutes for quarts; 10 minutes for pints (start timer after jars have been placed in canner and water in canner has returned to boiling)
When processing is complete, remove jars from canner and allow them to cool to room temperature. Check seals. Label sealed jars and store in pantry
Jars that don’t seal can be placed in refrigerator (use within three weeks) or immediately reprocessed with new lids
Makes about 3 quarts (6 pints)


When the family has gathered around the television to watch a football game,  a good movie or even a night of playing cards, a heap of chips and a bowl of green tomato salsa will transform the event from mundane to magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...