WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Friday, March 4, 2011

STOCKPILE SALAD SALSA -

Here is a recipe I made today, I took my inspiration from two recipes, 1 being the Green Tomato Salsa I made the other day, and one being Bread N Butter Cucumber Pickles.....so here is the recipe...

STOCKPILE SALAD SALSA

8 lb green tomatoes, chopped in the whizzer
4 red capsicum, diced
4 green capsicum, diced
1 kg carrots diced...(see below for my quick way to roughly dice carrots)
1 kg onions, chopped in the whizzer


After slicing my carrots throught the V-Slicer I then lay them on the chopping board and cut with a knife.


9 tablespoons salt....sprinkle this over the above engredients, stir and leave for 24 hours.



After the 24 hours of salting, drain the above mix, then rinse, draining again....




In a large boiler add the following:

2 Litres of white vinegar
3/4 tspn turmeric
9 tblspns of mustard seeds ( 130g)
6 tspns celery seeds
3/4 tspn cayenne pepper
4 1/2 lb white sugar

Boil together the above engredients. Then add salsa mix and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Avoid a hard boil. Pack in sterilised jars and seal immediately. Enjoy in one week.





























I am thinking this will be a lovely salad salsa, or even added to cooked pasta as another salad dish. It has a lovely flavour.



I still have more tomatoes left....but no more preserving now, until next week, I'm having the weekend off, and going fishing with my other half......Hope you all have a great weekend.
See you back here on Monday, unless I check in before hand



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...