WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

STEAMED DATE N NUT LOAF - bulk recipe for the freezer

Steamed Fruit and Nut Roll or Steamed Xmas Pudding - Bulk Recipe -  Baking     

For step by step photo's...click here
Depending on the time of year and the climate I .......
SERVE SLICED COLD WITH BUTTER OR MARGERINE
SERVE SLICED HOT WITH CREAM, ICECREAM OR CUSTARD

There are no eggs and no butter. An excellent source of fibre so try not to eat the whole thing.

for a printable copy ......... http://www.docstoc.com/docs/document-preview.aspx?doc_id=71459074


I don’t enjoy the traditional fruitcake mainly because of fruit peel and raisin stems but I can choose what goes in these. They are VERY MOIST and VERY POPULAR.

I make these at Xmas and wrap them in glad wrap, freeze them, Tie a ribbon around and hand them out to friends and family to take home and enjoy.

NOTE: My boiler fits 8 tins in it. If I could find a bigger boiler it would make the recipe work well because of the division of one mixture into 3 equal tins. I could use 3 mixtures into 9 cans if my boiler was a bit bigger.

I got my tins from buying cans of pineapple juice and apricot nectar and keeping the tins it comes in. (Apricot chicken was on the menu that night...lol)
(As long as the tins are long and skinny... any should do.) Remember to fully dry them when finished and pack in press seal bags to prevent rust.

My nan used to make these for the red-cross stall, and they were always the first to go, she used to just use mixed fruit.

Its handy to know you always have something on hand for unexpected visitors...they defrost rather quickly....or if a neighbour is having a hectic time for whatever reason, you could always give them one to say your thinking of them..
STEAMED FRUIT LOAF - THE RECIPE
I always triple the recipe. In 3 separate bowls do each recipe. Three batches fill all the tins in the boiler. I have to divide the triple recipe into 8 tins not 9 because of the size of my boiler.

1.         In 3 separate bowls put………..

2 cups all bran (home brand is fine)
Soak in 2 cups milk
2 dessert spoons golden syrup. 
Soak for at least 2 hours or overnight

2.         While the mixture is soaking I then prepare the other ingredients for later use….
Into 3 separate medium freezer bags just to save washing more dishes……..
Add and mix the following into each freezer bag…….
1 cup sugar
2 cups plain flour
2 level tspns bi carb soda
1 tspn mixed spice
2 cups of dried fruit or nuts or both (as long as its 2 cups chopped).
1 tspn ground ginger

I love using apricots, dried apple, dates, cranberries, sultanas, macadamia nuts, walnuts, almonds. I don’t recommend dried banana chips. I also inspect and remove any dried stems left on the sultanas and raisins.

3.         Now take one dry mix and add it to one soaked mix and mix until all is combined.
Spray the tins and the foil lid.
Divide the mixture into the 3 tins (see note)

4.         Repeat step 3 until all 3 mixtures are used and placed in tins.

5.         Cover with double foil and string. I tie string around the top of the tin then across the top to create a handle for removing them from the hot boiler later.

6.         Cook in boiler using enough water to half cover the tins. Cover and boil slowly for 1 ½ hours. When cooked take out of boiler and remove cake from tin, place on another rack to cool. Cut into slices and enjoy.

NOTE - I sometimes make 2 batches in one day so I end up with 16 rolls.

you will make these again.



3 comments:

  1. Dear Narelle

    Thank you for sharing this recipe. I first came across the recipe on your blog many years ago. I bought myself a boiling pot and started looking out for tins. No supermarket around me stocked the Golden Circle juice tins and I could only find BPA lined tins. I gave up the idea of making the loaves until a few weeks ago. Just by chance I stopped at a Woolies miles from my home and they had the large tins of pineapple juice. I just about bought the lot and have been putting out a tin of juice for the family to hurry up and drink up for the past week. Made my first batch of loaves today. My boiler holds 6 tins. It was hard to believe that the dry ingredients would mix in with the wet ingredients but they did. The loaves turned out perfect and taste delicious. I will make another batch tomorrow so that I will have plenty in the freezer. I think that cooks of years past were very clever coming up with recipes like this. Its a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, I'm sorry I missed your comment, but it's exciting isn't it when you release them from their tins. I'm making them again this week, that's what brought me to your comment. I'm so glad you enjoyed making them.

      Delete
  2. Can this recipe be baked ?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...