WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

ICED COFFEE - HOMEMADE




Seeing my son enter the workforce, I have noticed he has a liking to iced coffee. I was amazed at the price of a single serve of iced coffee at the supermarket. "There has to be a cheaper way" I thought to myself.....

After researching on the internet, I found that many people found that the main problem making it at home was how it watered down the milk. I guessed that if you reduce the coffee syrup and make it stronger, it wouldn't water down the milk....

cost of a cheap coffee brewer - $12.00 ( or 3.5 single serves of iced coffee from the supermarket)
cost of a cheap coffee beans - $5.00

Ok so I have to be able to make at least 5 serves of iced coffee to break even....I think I can manage that...

Using the coffee machine, I brewed a full batch of coffee......after completing the brewing cycle with the same coffee beans 3 times I put the coffee on the stove to reduce.




Reduce by half to two thirds.
You can see the first batch in the tall jam jar.



Experimenting with this I found two full teaspoons to be a good amount for a glass of milk...add sweetener if you prefer.

Knowing this was yummy, and the boys had not tried it yet, I knew it wouldn't last long, so another batch was brewed....all very easy really. Brew a batch of coffee, repeat twice....Reduce on the stove, then refridgerate between uses.  

Here is the final product...using two teaspoons of coffee syrup that I made.... everyone had a glass with tea tonight, and there were empty glasses all 'round. DS16 said it's just like the one in the shops.

3 comments:

  1. Not that you need to (with a good recipe like that!) but my dad likes the Bickfords Iced Coffee Syrup from the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine's a bit simpler - I buy coffee beans that have been ground finely (suitable for plunger for example) and put the whole bag in my mixing bowl with about 2L of water and leave overnight. Stir it whenever you walk past the bowl. After 12-24 hours drain the liquid off and store in the fridge. For the milk I mix up sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk about 50-50 (one can of each). You only need about 30-40 mls of this per cup, it's sweet! Don't forget to put the leftover coffee grounds in your worm farm or bokashi bin!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...