WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Making a cheese cave at home

I converted an old fridge that did not have very good temperature control....into my cheese cave.......I invested in a thermostat control box from my homebrew shop....it is the cooling one.....it will cool between 0 and I think 40 degrees celcius......(there is also a heating one)
This control box is plugged into the wall and the fridge is plugged into the control box.....the new 'thermostat' bypasses the fridges thermostat.......it is all tested and approved with Australian Standards....so thats why I didn't bother with trying to make one.....much safer this way..



Above you can see the coil coming through the fridge wall, this is the only modification I made to the fridge, no wiring, no electrician needed....I have the probe in a glass of water to eliminate temperature variations when opening the cave door.

You will also need a hygrometer, that's just a fancy name for something to measure the temperature and the humidity....I got mine for $19 from a hydroponic supplier on ebay .

You will notice that I have two devices measuring temperature....you don't need two, I just started with the round one and upgraded to the digital one later which measures both temperature and humidity.

Once maturity is reached with your cheese you then move it to your standard kitchen refridgerator.

2 comments:

  1. This is just what I need! I'm about ready to replace my old fridge and plan to use it for a cheese cave. Now I just need to find something like this here in the States so the currents will be okay. I'll try my friendly brew store manager, see if they have something similar here. Glad I found the like to your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cheese but I have never made cheese. I'm going to have a go at it. I have an older fridge in the garage I will convert to a cheese cave. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...