WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Compost area Rejuvenated - BEFORE & AFTER

I have never really had much success with my compost are, but things are about to change.

I found a horse stable, where they dump the used hay each day into an allocated area where you can collect the horse manure yourself. The shovel is even supplied, and I asked the gentleman if he would be so kind as to give me some feed bags.


I got three full feed bags of used hay from the stalls that day.


I also found a supplier with a good vegetable growing soil. One cubic meter of the soil was $50...not bad!


I have two little garden helpers called Cindy and Rusty. They love to help me in the garden, keeping a close eye on any lizards or other small critters that are not supposed to be in THIER yard.


I have been so frustrated at the two of them, especially Rusty. She seems to think if she keeps digging under the compost bin, she will get THE LIZARD.
What a mess.




I came up with a plan to rejuvenate my compost area....after all, it was crying out for help!!!


All the materials were laying around the yard...
  • Now after making the compost area...I have a space for all the tomato steaks.


    BEFORE
    AFTER
  • The left bin is for the compost from the old bins, seeing they have already started to break down. I will also be transferring all my bokashi waste in there too.
  • The right bin, I have alternate layers on the bottom for the horse manure and vegetable soil I collected and am now filling it with the vegetable soil I have left over in the trailer.
  • When I place bokashi waste in the left bin, I can simply cover it with soil from the right bin.
A JOB WELL DONE !!!
I may have to add a sheet of tin on the front, too stop the dirt coming through the mesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...