WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

SCONE RECIPES - DIFFERENT VARIETIES

PLAIN SCONES – ALWAYS DOUBLE THE RECIPE, to fill the tray

2 Cups Self Raising Flour                     
1 tblspn butter
¼ tspn salt                                           
¾ cup milk

Set oven to 200oC.
Rub butter into flour and salt until texture of bread crumbs
Mix milk into flour quickly with the blade of a knife. Don’t over mix and discard excess flour in bowl.
Roll out to 1 inch thickness, cut into rounds.
Glaze with milk.
Place in oven for 10 minutes or until golden.


SAVOURY SCONES

1 pkt French Onion Soup Mix                
1 cup milk
3 cups Self Raising Flour                      
1 tspn baking powder
2 oz butter                                           
1 egg
2 tblspns chopped parsley                   
1 tblspn dried mixed herbs

Put onion mix and milk in a bowl and let soak for 15 minutes.
Sift flour and baking powder into mixing bowl.
Rub butter into flour until it resembles bread crumbs.
Make a well in centre, add slightly beaten egg, parsley and onion mixture.
Mix into a soft dough with a knife blade, knead lightly on floured board.
Pat dough out into 1 inch thickness. Cut into rounds with an upside down drinking glass.
Put on lightly greased tray and bake in a very hot oven of 200 oC for about 12 minutes.


LEMONADE SCONES

4 cups Self Raising Flour                      
300ml tub thickened cream
1 cup lemonade (cheapest)                   
¼ cup milk

Sift flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add thickened cream and lemonade.
Stir gently with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a soft, sticky dough.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Dust with extra flour and knead gently until smooth.
Gently roll dough until 1 inch thick, using an upside down drinking glass, cut rounds from dough and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
Cook in a hot oven 200oC for about 12 minutes, or until lightly golden and cooked through.

PUMPKIN SCONES

2 cups Self Raising Flour                      

1 cup mashed cooked cooled pumpkin
½ tspn salt                                           

30g butter
¼ cup caster sugar                               

1 egg
Extra milk for glazing

Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in butter, add pumpkin, sugar and egg. Mix into a dough, and knead with a little extra flour. Pat dough to 1 inch thickness and cut into rounds.
Place on a greased tray brush with milk and bake in a very hot oven 200oC for about 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...