WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Monday, February 28, 2011

Banana Scones

Not much else to report for today, I cut the soap this morning, and made a lovely batch of Banana scones.

BANANA SCONES
3 cups Self Raising Flour
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
2 mashed bananas
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tspn vanilla essence

Cream butter and sugar.
In a seperate bowl, mash banana, stir in milk and vanilla.
Combine both mixtures with a wooden spoon.
Fold through the flour and lightly mix into a dough.

Press out onto a lightly floured bench to about 3/4 inch thickness.


Use an upside down drinking glass as a scone cutter. Cut rounds and place on floured tray.


This is the way I have always stacked my scone rounds on a baking sheet. I find that this way, helps each scone to rise straight.....Bake in hot oven of 200oC for 10-12 minutes.




Once cooked to a lovely golden colour, separate the scones and turn the cooked scones to the centre...leaving a gap around each scone, bake in the oven for another 4 minutes....this helps to seal each scone....this method works better with plain, savoury, and pumpkin scones, as the banana scones I found were very light...but they still turned out soooo delicious...and the aroma in the kitchen while they were baking..........well your just going to have to make them yourself so you can experience the same aroma.


I got a heap of bananas before they went up because of the floods....I have 5 bags of 1 cup of mashed banana in the freezer just waiting to be cooked up in some way.  Now please note that I did not measure the amount of mashed banana I had....and when it thawed it was very watery....Because of this, I needed more than 1 cup of extra flour.....probably closer to two....

Any way they turned out so delicious, for lunch I had left over meatloaf (2 slices), a cup of mushroom soup and 2 fresh out of the oven Banana Scones....what a lovely way of using up leftovers...

2 comments:

  1. Will definitely have to try these!

    Did you know that American sugar bowls have castor sugar while other countries eg South African have the larger grained "granulated sugar"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becca, I didn't know that. I find it very interesting to know little traits of other parts of the world. Did you know that Australian pillowcases are possibly the only country that has the extra flap to tuck the pillow into?
    Fascinating stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...