WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Golden Syrup Dumplings





Golden Syrup Dumplings....I always double the recipe, this way, we can have sweets another night.

Dumplings
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup Self Raising Flour
1 beaten egg
2 3 tablespoons milk
Rub the butter into the flour. Add the beaten egg and most of the milk to form a soft dough....Add more milk if needed.
Place spoonfuls into a baking dish.


Syrup
1 1/2 cups water
1 tspn lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons golden syrup

Put syrup ingredients into a saucepan, stir until sugar is dissolved, and bring to the boil. Pour syrup over dumplings and bake in a moderate oven for 20 -30 minutes.


 I like to turn the dumplings half way through the cooking time, then sprinkle some cinnamon on them.


Golden Syrup Dumplings with Vanilla Ice-cream

14 comments:

  1. Thanks! i copied that. love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're Welcome Andrea...This is the first time I used Plain Flour and Baking Powder, I think I get better, bigger, puffier dumplings using the Self Raising Flour, but these were still light and very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, such a simple dessert but so lovely! A nice variation is to put a slice of apple in the middle of each dumpling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My recipe is slightly different to yours and we eat ours with egg custard. I'll have to try sprinkling some cinnamon on mine. Pudding type desserts are always nice in Winter!
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum. I haven't made these in ages! I normally simmer mine on the stove but will have to give this recipe a go, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubby is going to thank you very much as this is on the menu for tonight and maybe the next few nights.....he loves dumplings. Me, I'm an apple pie/crumble person so he gets to eat the lot and I'm sure he will have no problem doing that. I will also sent the recipe to my sister in the USA, her appetite is not the best but I'm sure this will hit the spot. Thanks xx
    Gillian (Chiria)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, I haven't made these in forever! Sooo decadent, I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, Almost more than I can handle. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious and wonderfully simple. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello NellyMary,

    So sweet of you to share your recipe. I might just have to make these tonight. My 89 year old Dad and my 88 year old mother in law live with us so I like to make them something really special for their dessert a couple of times a week. I know this will be a winner. We are about 1 and bit hours down the coast from you and isn't it just a magic afternoon. So enjoying your blog.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these, I also make a microwave self saucing pudding which is very similar. I would have never thought of adding lemon juice to the syrup though, will have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Golden syrup dumplings are always a favourite in our house...I use this exact recipe, I love the tang of the lemon, makes for a nice flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for a wonderful response to this recipe....It IS a very easy dessert...and I will try adding some apple next time...I never used to turn them half way, but I find you get a nice thick sauce if you do....
    I tried doing them on the stove once, and burnt them dry...Mum wasn't happy..lol....
    If you have made these since I posted the recipe..I hope your family enjoyed them...if you have made a double batch...the second time round isn't as fluffy as the first batch...but I think I will pull one lot out early, so they are only half baked...I'll try that next time for the second batch.
    I found my mum's old pudding tins yesterday...so I'm looking for recipes to use them now...My friend Tania's mum used to make the best self-saucing pudding on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great with home made butter custard!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...