WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Monday, September 12, 2011

French Onion Chops

Or as we call them....Chops in the oven!  (Sure, it doesn't sound very exciting, but my boys know better).....We use Lamb Griller's when we can get them at a decent price.

I can't remember who gave me this idea, but I have been cooking them like this since I was about 19, maybe younger.....They just melt in your mouth...and that's all I can say really.....They sell themselves!

Simply spray your foil and add two chops per parcel.....one per person is usually enough.....
Sprinkle with French Onion Soup Mix...I've linked to a bulk recipe for the soup mix where 3 1/2 tablespoons equates to one packet mix. One packet mix or equivalent will be enough to cover both sides of 6 chops.

I first sprinkle the soup mix over the chop, then rub it in slightly, turn the chop over, and repeat. With your foil sprayed, wrap up the chops, and bake in a moderate oven for an hour......
It's mushroom time around here again and I have just picked my second crop....so I added some freshly picked mushrooms to the pockets too.

I have written about growing mushrooms here, here and here.....I even made a Mushroom Ketchup here.....which is lovely to use as a concentrated stock.



Above: This photo doesn't do the chops justice..as the parcel was still steaming when I took the photo...you can't see how lovely and glazed the meat is.
Carrots were freshly picked from the garden...they are coming along, but still rather small....and all the veg were put in the steamer...along with a bag of mashed pumpkin from the freezer to add to the mashed potato...Yum!


I encourage everyone to have a go at these chops...they are so delicious as they just melt in your mouth........If you do have a go at this recipe....please come back and tell me about it.

9 comments:

  1. This is a favourite with our family too nellymary. I have also tried it with chicken noodle soup when I didn't have french onion. I like the way the meat comes out sooo tender...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohh... sounds lovely. We love lamb and I'm very excited to get our lamb order in October! Your carrots look great and I've never had pumpkin in potatoes.. good idea that's probably really tasty. I know about mashed white turnip in potato (which is delish). Hope you are feeling a little better these days Narelle - is your pain under control? I don't know how you do all that you do in a day with such pain as yours. I'd be a puddle on the floor, I'm sure. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! We have regular "tin dins" or "foil packs" around here. I have never tried this. Surely it will be on an up and coming menu. Thank you for the lovely idea.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm yummy!
    I have nominated you for the versatile blogger award! To accept the award come to my blog! becc
    www.smileymum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tania: I have tried chicken noodle too, but it just isn't the same....

    Little Home in the Country: Hey Sherri...you really should try a bit of pumpkin or sweet potato in your mashed potato, it's really yummy. I seem to go through stages where I think I should be coming off pain meds...and try....but I really shouldn't because I usually fall in a heap. It went against everything I believe in when I bought a box of washing powder, simply because I didn't have the energy to make it...even though it is sooo easy.....But that's all sorted now...fixed my meds, back on track again.....Even made my washing powder today.....Yayyyy!! I don't know how you do that huge list of canning in one day...You are amazing!

    Anon: Hi Becc (Smileymum)....thank-you so much...I have another one too that I haven't put up yet....I'm so slack in that department....but I'm coming back and getting organised on here shortly. Look out for a little give-away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops sorry Melissa....Your family will love this dish....let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi nellymary
    mmmh sounds lovely!!!! it looks sooooooooo good!
    i will it try.
    I wish you a wonderful week,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great to me, too! I also wanted to let you know I'm passing an award to you. :) You deserve it, I really enjoy your blog.

    Our Rustic Roots

    ReplyDelete
  9. Regina: You will see how tender the chops become....Hope you have a wonderful week also.

    Tina: Your'e so sweet, I look forward to the award. Thank-you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...