WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

MUSHROOMS GALORE

A big trip into town to the mushroom farm proved to be far more than I expected...Wanting the mushroom compost for the garden, but planning to harvest what mushrooms are left in the spores...I decided on 15 bags.....at $3 each, that's not bad....very cheap really seeing you can get a crop off them first.
I spotted a huge bag, and commented on how big it was, and how many mushrooms must be in it....The gentleman told me. "Oh no, thats just stems, do you want a bag, we give it away for compost, it breaks down within about two weeks", not wanting to miss a great opportunity I said yes immediately.....

Now when the fine young gentleman loaded up the trailer for me with the compost bags, which I had paid for....he then went and got two of these huge bags of stems....he then told me, "There's two more out there, do you want them?"   Is the sun hot? of course I wanted them.....

When I got them home and opened them up....I seen there were actually mushrooms mixed in with the stems....Too rough to sell, I suppose they just throw 'em out......

I got mum into gear to help sort the stems and mushrooms....Out of the four bags, I still have 1 to sort through.....

But here are the photos I took of our production line.....The lady is my mum







I still have one bag to sort through....and I got all these so far......they cleaned up well with a dunk in the water....I plan on dehydrating this lot..
Then there are the mushrooms I will harvest from the bags..........I will take a photo of them tomorrow......I am stiff and sore as I HAD to finish unloading the trailer of soil first before I could get this lot....I am glad I did...but Ohhhh I am aching......I will have to pick up the animal fat from the butchers tomorrow....after I sort out that other bag.
*****************************************************************************
Saturday 26 Feb 2011
So here is an update to the mushrooms galore...I have finally sorted through the stems, that was a huge bounty....and thankfully, they are shrinking down to a fair size....the dehydrator may be able to get a rest for a while shortly....

I put all the stems into the compost bin, and as the gentleman said to, I have also covered them with dirt, because as they rot and break down, they are going to smell.....so they are covered; but not before taking a few more photos.






 One of the bags of mushroom compost, being moved to under the house. Cost $3.00




I hope I have enspired you to try growing mushrooms from your muchroom compost.....................
As the mushrooms grow, I shall keep this post going with updates....
so check back in a few days....and thanks for reading my blog.

2 comments:

  1. what a glorious bounty! My nearest mushroom farm is an hour away but im thinking it may just be worth a trip now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW!!! You lucky, lucky girl. A TON of work, but such a rich bounty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...