WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Is cheese making overwhelming?

Only if you let it be..........

I was extremely confused when I first started, I still don't make anything starting off with great confidence, so dont worry, the one thing I have learnt is that I worry about it all too much....just follow instructions and you are fine.....check out making cheese on youtube....that always helps, watching someone else do it....I had plenty of time to watch while I was paying off my temp control thing......

Now, I first used the incubator (esky) and that is what you put the 4 litres of milk in to start your cheese......it is just as it states, an incubator. I now am using 8 litres of milk and the pot I put 8 in does not fit in the incubator anymore......I have a large old fashioned steel pot that I now put my pot of 8 litres in. then put a lid on and wrap it up in blankets to keep warm for the time period requested.....

It all acts like a double saucepan, I started making cheese on the stove, but its just too hot, tooo quick....Using a large 'double boiler method' and pouring boiling water 'around' the 8 litre pot of milk...is much less aggressive.....if the double part gets too full, you simply remove the milk pot and empty some of the hot water, replacing with boiling water. Doing this over the time period stated is much easier than on the stove....

To mature your cheeses, it is recommended that they are on average held at 13 degrees celcius and 85 % humidity....you can't regulate the humidity by the machine, but you can adjust it with the amount of water you put in the cave, keep adjusting according to the humidity reading....oh its called a hygrometer......
and you need the thermostat bypass as well......thats all really, if you buy a starter pack for the cheeses that you like, you will have the cultures needed, you can be imaginative with the rest.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...