WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Friday, July 29, 2011

On my mind......Nan's Apple Pies

This is a Friday photo feature that anyone with a blog can join. It opens the door to us sharing our lives through these photos and gives us all a new way to discover each other, and maybe form new friendships. Your photo should show something at home that you're thinking about TODAY. If you're in another country you should join in when you read this, even if it's still Thursday.

To take part, all you have to do is post a photo on your own blog, write a short caption explaining it, and link it back to here. Please write a new post, don't link to an older one. When your photo is published, come back and add a comment below, with a link to your blog photo so we can all find you. Please visit all the blogs that appeal to you and leave a comment. Slow down, take the time to cruise around and enjoy your cyber visits.

On my mind...is my Nan's apple pies.....Nan used to make Apple Pies for the Red Cross stalls, which she was a lifetime member....Not only were pies donated to the stall, but any crocheted jug covers, hand-sewn aprons, pot holders, jams, pickles, and other things, what ever she had a surplus of at the time.....

I've recently had a go at making Nan's pastry...and it worked perfectly....she is right you know...4 tops and 4 bottoms....that's how many pies can be made with the pastry recipe...as far as I can recall; Nan got this recipe from her mother...so it's a good one for many more reasons....

I halved the pastry recipe for this amount of apples.




Old apples from Mum's fridge

added 1/2 cup water, and teaspoon of sugar

2 tops and 2 bottoms


They didn't make it to the freezer...
I'm going to have to stop making all this yummy food...Oh but wait...I'm about to go and pick up 2L of fresh local cream from South Coast Dairy.

Please join in on the On my mind.......
leave a link back to your blog here in my comments.....

11 comments:

  1. Those pies do look good nellymary!

    I might give your Nan's pastry a go. Normally I just use a scone mixture to make my pies which is similar to your Nan's.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good! And so prettily made. Your nan would be so proud of you! love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about Nanna's and apple pies? My Nanna's apple pies were truly legendary in our family too and the standard to which all have been held since. And her scones..wow! Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi nellymarie,
    your apple pies looks very good.i think your nan would be proud of you.
    have a wonderful weekend,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies. I think she would be proud of me too....I'm sure if the family get word that I am making them, they would be putting in orders....It really is a good pastry recipe...and very yummy too....It will be the only recipe I now use for sweet pies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Nellymary. I have poked around your blog a couple of times and found such a lot of wonderful ideas, recipes, writings etc. I have tried many of the "you might also like" links and you were right I did like! Thanks for a wonderful blog that shares so many tips and ideas. I am going to go back to the beginning and go through all the posts to make sure I don't miss anything.
    Your Nan would be very proud of your very pretty and I am sure very good tasting apple pies........you, yourself, are going to be a Nan that is long remembered just like your own beloved Nan.
    Thank you again
    Candace
    Colorado USA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candace: Thank-you so much for your kind words...I'm sure you will find plenty to read here....Thanks for letting me know how much you love my blog...it certainly puts a smile on my face. Pick some herbs from your garden, brew a pot of herb tea, and sit back...
    Thank-you too for the acknowledgement of me becoming a Nan one day too....I do hope to be a great Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM APPLE PIS! I was looking at apples yesterday at the grocery store and dreaming of baking apple pies - but will wait until it cools off some as today's heat index is to be 108*F. SO I will have to wait until Fall. I entered one of my apple pies in the SC State Fair and won a second place ribbon. HAPPY BAKING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becky: I'm already thinking about how to bake come summer...I hate heating up the kitchen in summer with the oven .....One thing I do is when cooking in the crockpot, I have it on the table outside on the back veranda....no extra heat inside....
    Good for you entering your apple pies in the Fair...I've only ever entered my jams and pickles and won firsts and seconds for them....but I used to enter lots of baking when I was a child...it was fun and great joy when you won a prize...It still is. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    South Coast Dairy? Can you get unhomogenised milk direct from them too?
    Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Emily, if you click on their button at the top left of the page...it will take you to their contact details...After phoning them,come back and let me know how you went.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...