WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Better than Jam drops

I finally made them! And how could I pass up this recipe anyway? With such high praise from the Down to Earth forum, I knew they would be a hit.

Paula writes: It is easy, quick, cheap and it makes 7 or 8 dozen biscuits, which keep well. The dough and cooked biscuits keep well in the freezer. I use butter and wholemeal flour, but white flour and margarine can be substituted. I have only ever used tinned sweetened condensed milk in this recipe, but I imagine that Rhonda Jean's homemade condensed milk would work just as well.

Condensed Milk Biscuits
makes 7-8 dozen, cook 10 min at 180C

500 grams butter (approx 1.1 lb)
1 can condensed milk (390-400 gram)
1 cup sugar
5 cups wholemeal self raising flour (or plain flour and paking powder)
toppings like choc chips, smarties, jam, cinnamon and sugar

Cream butter and sugar, add condensed milk. 
Stir in flour. 
Roll into balls and flatten. 
Top with choc chips etc, or thumbprint and add jam for jam drops.

Bake at 180C for approx 10 min until golden brown. cool on racks

this photo is missing the Baking Powder

Sifting the easy way.

1 flat tablespoon per biscuit
saves a whole lot of ...."He got a bigger one than I did"

with home-made Apricot Jam
hubby's favourite

little tool I made for rolling Brandy Snaps,
but it was too small for snaps.

This tray will go in the freezer,
once frozen they get packed into a container
then they are ready for quick baking

Recipe made 84 biscuits.
Thank-you Paula and thank-you Down to Earth Forum for a lovely recipe.

2 comments:

  1. I have used this recipe, but with only white flour, so many times I love it.
    My fave recipe is sultanas and cornflakes and the kids love choc chips. Will have to use some wholemeal flour next time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becci, you're in for a treat. If I use choc chips, they would all disappear on the same day...instead of lasting a few days...lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...