I've found that happy place....in the Herb Mix that I make on a regular basis...Up until now, I had been calling it My Soup Starter....but it's taken on a whole new meaning in my kitchen lately.
Frankly, I'd be lost without it....(Well, almost, I've done ok up until now..lol)....
It's been raining on and off here for what seems to be forever....but long enough for me not to remember the last time I hung wet washing outside on the line....What I'm trying to get at here is.....I haven't had to run out to the garden for herbs at all. Why? Because of my All Purpose Herb & Garlic Mix!!
It's brilliant, flavourful AND time-saving!!
Thank-you to my niece Shona for the inspiration behind this mix. I have adapted mine to suit my garden, and I am discovering new ways to use it almost every day.....
Depending on what is growing in abundance in my garden at the time, depends on what goes in my Herb Mix. Here are some examples....the method is always the same......Whizz everything in the blender until finely minced, adding Olive Oil to blend easily. Store in the fridge in a sealed glass jar.
- 1 big bunch of spring onions
- a couple of Spanish onions if you have some on hand.
- a good cup of minced garlic..I just used the bottled variety (home-brand too)
- adding Olive Oil while it is whizzing to make a good spooning consistency.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge.
- 1 big bunch of spring onions (from the garden)
- 1 large Spanish onion
- a good cup of minced garlic..(I use the bottled variety because I just don't have time to peel that much garlic)
- a big bunch of freshly picked parsley (also in the garden)
- a bigger bunch of Sorrel (also in the garden)
- a small bunch of Marjoram and Thyme (also in the garden)
- Add Olive Oil while it is whizzing to make a good spooning consistency. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge. Remember, anything you add will be a time saver....If you have it, add it! I use this starter for many different recipes...I love it on the 2 ingredient pizza dough (oooh I have a good idea for some flat bread to go with dinner tonight) or stirred into cooked pasta. It also makes a delicious dressing too. The list is endless where you can use this Herb Mix.
- 2 big bunches of spring onions
- 2 large Spanish onion
- a whole jar of crushed garlic..(I use the bottled variety because I just don't have time to peel that much garlic)
- a huge bunch of freshly picked parsley
- a bigger bunch of Sorrel
- a handful of Rosemary
- a medium bunch of Marjoram and Thyme
|Herb & Garlic Butter - Mixed|
|Herb & Garlic Butter - one for now, one for the freezer.|
|Roast Leg of Pork|
|Chicken with Cheese Baguette|
|Roast Turkey legs|
|Roast Turkey Roll with herb butter and garden salad|
|Ham & Salad Bread Rolls|
|Fresh Garden Tomato Salad with fresh peas|
|Herb & Garlic Bread|
|Prawn & Chicken Rolls|
(Like sausage rolls, only better)
|Base for Pizza|
|Roast Leg of Lamb|