WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Universal Herb & Garlic Mix - for Every day!

Imagine having a healthy mix of fresh herbs and garlic, that you can happily add to your menu every day of the week; without the hassle of picking, washing, peeling, slicing and chopping each time you want to use them all........

I've found that happy place....in the Herb Mix that I make on a regular basis...Up until now, I had been calling it My Soup Starter....but it's taken on a whole new meaning in my kitchen lately.

Frankly, I'd be lost without it....(Well, almost, I've done ok up until now..lol)....
It's been raining on and off here for what seems to be forever....but long enough for me not to remember the last time I hung wet washing outside on the line....What I'm trying to get at here is.....I haven't had to run out to the garden for herbs at all. Why? Because of my All Purpose Herb & Garlic Mix!!

It's brilliant, flavourful AND time-saving!!
Thank-you to my niece Shona for the inspiration behind this mix. I have adapted mine to suit my garden, and I am discovering new ways to use it almost every day.....


Depending on what is growing in abundance in my garden at the time, depends on what goes in my Herb Mix. Here are some examples....the method is always the same......Whizz everything in the blender until finely minced, adding Olive Oil to blend easily. Store in the fridge in a sealed glass jar.


  • 1 big bunch of spring onions
  • a couple of Spanish onions if you have some on hand.
  • a good cup of minced garlic..I just used the bottled variety (home-brand too)
  • adding Olive Oil while it is whizzing to make a good spooning consistency.
  • Store in an airtight jar in the fridge.



OR
  • 1 big bunch of spring onions (from the garden)
  • 1 large Spanish onion
  • a good cup of minced garlic..(I use the bottled variety because I just don't have time to peel that much garlic)
  • a big bunch of freshly picked parsley (also in the garden)  
  • a bigger bunch of Sorrel (also in the garden) 
  • a small bunch of Marjoram and Thyme (also in the garden)

    Add Olive Oil while it is whizzing to make a good spooning consistency. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge. Remember, anything you add will be a time saver....If you have it, add it! I use this starter for many different recipes...I love it on the 2 ingredient pizza dough (oooh I have a good idea for some flat bread to go with dinner tonight) or stirred into cooked pasta. It also makes a delicious dressing too. The list is endless where you can use this Herb Mix.

OR
  • 2 big bunches of spring onions 
  • 2 large Spanish onion
  • a whole jar of crushed garlic..(I use the bottled variety because I just don't have time to peel that much garlic)
  • a huge bunch of freshly picked parsley 
  • a bigger bunch of Sorrel
  • a handful of Rosemary  
  • a medium bunch of Marjoram and Thyme 
There was two of these jars.

It really couldn't be any easier....I encourage you to have a go...Make it up and see for yourself, what you can create with it.



Here are just some examples of 

what I have used it for.......

Silverside
Herb & Garlic Butter - Mixed

Herb & Garlic Butter - one for now, one for the freezer.
Roast Leg of Pork

Savoury Crackers

Chicken with Cheese Baguette

Roast Turkey legs

Roast Turkey Roll with herb butter and garden salad

HINT: When you only have one tomato, or maybe a few slices of cold meat, AND you have lots of people to feed....how do you choose who gets what on their sandwiches...Simple! You don't have to choose....just chop it all up...and share it with everyone. 
Ham & Salad Bread Rolls

That method works so well for any salad sandwich, and it's perfect for people who have false teeth problems. No tomato skins to bite through......or lettuce to tear with your teeth.....

Like I said, It's brilliant!.....here's some more ideas.....

Fresh Garden Tomato Salad with fresh peas

Herb & Garlic Bread

Prawn & Chicken Rolls
(Like sausage rolls, only better)



Base for Pizza

Roast Leg of Lamb

Hmmm, I wonder how I will use it tomorrow? ........
Oh, and I didn't even show you any dressings, sauces, or soups.....

Your time is just as valuable as mine...and If I find a way to save time in the kitchen, I'm sure going to share it with you all.
Is this something you would be interested in making? What meals can you see yourself using it in?

13 comments:

  1. What a great idea! thanks for it....all the examples look so delicious. love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea, I will def be giving this a go! I love the butter idea a great way to save herbs to use in the winter. just freeze it in butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI nellymary - it's Rhonda's fault over at D2E that I have found your blog! How long do you reckon you can keep this in the fridge for? It's just there's only the two of us and it's takes time for me to get through such 'condiments', but this is just such a great idea I'd love to try it. Hooliganhound, Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea: great to see you back in the blogging world...I can vouch for all those examples being delicious, Your right!

    Angela: Yes, herbed butter keeps very well in the freezer...I like that I am able to use my herbs out of season too.

    Hooliganhound: Hi there, and welcome to my blog....Good question...I usually make a large batch now, and it can take me anything up to just over a month to use it all up...but I don't put it all in the one large jar either...If you make up some, seeing it is just the two of you, I would recommend bottling it in smaller jars...so you only have one open at a time....
    Using Olive Oil...it sets in the fridge which also helps to preserve it...as no air can get beneath the top layer...I do hope you have a go at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi.. What a great idea you have with your herb mix. It doesn't have to be made in huge lots either bit I would use it for gifts too. hope you are feeling much better. thank you for your photos on the blog. It gives it great appeal.

    Dell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks nellymary. It's on my to do list now..... Hooliganhound

    ReplyDelete
  7. Narelle, that is brilliant. I can really see how that would make life so much easier having that to spoon into dishes for flavour. I love that you use what your garden dictates. I must do this soon - no fresh herbs here as my garden is under snow, but this has motivated me to start some herbs indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post was not only helpful but very useful too. Thank you for sharing this piece of your expertise with all of us. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I'm glad you are on my "special list". I always find the coolest ideas here. And if motivation gets a bit low, you are good to share.

    l,
    brenda from arkansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi NellyMary, I made your herb & garlic mix yesterday with what I had on hand - basil, parsley, garlic chives, garlic from the jar, a bit of salt and some peppercorns. It was sensational. Because it was a first time I didn't make the quantities you did, thinking I'd never use it up in the 2 weeks you suggested - but at this rate I'm not sure it will last 2 days. Thank you very much, this is excellent stuff. (I've just had it on toasted homemade bread for breakfast). Cheers Barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do you get your ideas from?
    Amazing the different ways to use your mix. The herb butter is brilliant, its all brilliant. I feel inspired.
    thanks
    Dayla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prawn and chicken rolls, sounds yummo.. I have been wanting to make bulk garlic butter.. this has inspired me to get off my toshie and do it... How long does the herb and garlic mixes last in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Wendy, if I've been terribly lazy in the kitchen, it has lasted roughly a month before I run out...but I do make a rather big batch too....being in olive oil, it sets in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...