WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Kefir - Pancakes, Straining & Fruity flavours.

These were lovely...whenever I make pancakes, the family all gather around the kitchen bench and just chat while I am cooking....there is eating while others are cooking....and suggestions of what topping is nicer.....some prefer honey, while others like margarine then sugar and lemon juice.....I like the latter topping, but I must say I have fallen in love with the Honey Haven Strawberry honey..and although it is infused with an essence, you really can't tell in the gentle flavour....I did ring Honey Haven, and they told me that by law they are allowed to add 4 % of 'other' ingredients before needing to include it on the label....So that's why it is described as "100% Australian Honey", but it's still yummy.

Kefir Pancakes...These are lovely light and fluffy..and although my Kefir was not very thick this time...I'm going to make them again....DS16 asked if we could have these every weekend.  So I guess they get the stamp of approval.

I got the recipe from here...and Tammy has a whole heap of great recipes over there...

Fluffy Kefir Pancakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups kefir*
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Fresh fruit, butter, or syrup, for serving
Instructions: 
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, combine kefir, milk, vanilla extract, and eggs. Add to dry mixture and mix just until moistened. Batter will be lumpy!
3. Pre-heat griddle or skillet over medium heat (or just below). Lightly grease griddle or skillet, and spoon batter on.
4. When many bubbles have risen to the top of the pancake (about 3-4 minutes), flip over and continue cooking until done (about 1-2 minutes).
5. Serve immediately, or keep pancakes warm on a plate in the oven until all have been cooked. Serve with butter, fresh fruit, or syrup. Enjoy!

Always pour your batter from a jug

Use a non-stick griddle, and don't put any oil on it.
I only use this griddle for our pancakes...
this way it remains in good condition for a lovely pancake finish.

When bubbles appear, and the surface appears to be drying slightly
then it's time to flip the pancakes.



Standing around, chatting and snacking


*********************************
I've been working on achieving the right consistency with my Kefir milk....it seems after reading more on Dom's sight...I have learn't that my strainer is far too fine....and I should be stirring the milk more when it sets to a curds and whey....so I have MODIFIED my strainer......hehe...(there's more than one way to skin a cat) (no animals are ever skinned here, just a joke)...lol according to Dom, the strainer should have no less than a 2mm gap....which gives you are far better end product....

When I started MODIFYING my strainer..I tried to give the 2mm gap, but found it to be too flimsy...so I only removed every second thread..only on one axis....you'll see what I mean in the picture.....

Besides the messy bit where I tried to reach the recommended 2mm
but the strainer was too flimsy like that.

After 36 hours

Stir the kefir gently, you don't want to break up your Kefir grains.

Then strain it...with my newly MODIFIED strainer.

Ahhhh, this is the good thickness that gives you that
wonderful Kefir moustache.

I think my grains have now doubled in size.
So now I have achieved the right consistency..there's no stopping me with more recipes...
so bring them on I say!

*********************************
Fruity Flavours..bring 'em on!
bring 
lhlkh,bkbk
Upon receiving more instruction from the lovely Lisa, the same Lisa for whom I am thankful for the beginning of my grains....I have started trying other flavours with blended fruit.....

 After fermentation, I then strain the grains....

 and add the pulped fruit..this time strawberries.....
 I'd leave some to let you try, but this is all I had left when I realised I hadn't taken the photo of it yet....
It is very very nice, and got the go ahead from all the family...even hubby said it was nice.

 So after straining, you immediately put another brew on for the next flavour experiment...


To the next strained batch of Water Kefir, I've decided to try orange...so I added the juice and rind of 1 orange...and half a cup of sugar...Its still brewing...so it will be exciting to try this later.
I like that I can change the flavour each time...it gives me heaps of room to experiment...and that's what cooking and kitchens are for.

I'm loving my Kefir journey.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Nellymary, they look yummo, we had pancakes on the weekend!!

    Just wanted to ask about the steamed fruit n nut loaves, some of the tins I have are white on the inside, hubby wondered whether there may be anything that makes some tins not suitable to use?? Should they be silver on the inside like the outside?

    Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie: They sure were yummo....as for the tins.....I never used to worry...and all Nan's tins had a lining....but since I found the blogging world and have been told about BPA lining...I think that is what it is called, although I may be wrong....but apparently the lined tins have chemicals in the lining that can leach into the foods....
    The only tins I have seen that don't have the lining are the fruit juices....hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for that, I think that's what hubby was hinting at. I'm hanging out to try them so looks like I'll be buying some fruit juice each shop!

    Love yr blog by the way .... I was raised very much like you, I used to think that everyone would know stuff like this!

    Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love keifer! So what have been some of the benifits on your bodies with all this probiotics going in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie,
    This great you teaching folk the health benefits of kefir. I strain my grains and just keep the big one....this must be wrong as I am not getting babies??? I would love to experiment further but hang onto my 1 lumpy grain..How do you do coconut kefir?
    Nana Nia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Kefir too, and have been missing it for a few weeks now....need to get back on track, now that things will finally hopefully settle down around here.
    As for health benefits, I know that whenever I am on anti-biotics I am plagued with the dreaded Thrush! Since discovering Kefir I have not had thrush...Yay Kefir....When I was on antibiotics I drank Milk Kefir every day....and not a sign of thrush in sight.
    My complexion is also much better...come to think about it...everything is so much more 'regular' too.
    Nia, I haven't tried Coconut Kefir yet, but when I do..I only have access to store bought coconut water...which I will add my water grains to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...