WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Am I too frugal?

 I recently realised that my Loofah vine was not going to produce as we lost all the flowers with bad weather,......What a waste to have cared for that plant and then nothing...Not wanting it to beat me...I went to the local library and sourced some basket weaving books....after taking some notes....this is what I came up with..






Does anyone know if Loofah Vine dries crispy, or will I have a basket once its dried....????

If not, it was worth a try..lol....I won't be giving up my day job for basketry..heheh

Some comments left at the Down to Earth Forum

"Nelly, I just love your attitude! I haven't tried weaving loofa vine but I have wisteria vine and it worked very well, even when it was dry. I hope for the same with your loofa basket. Cabbage tree leaves are very good for baskets too.
With your loofas next year, sow the seeds inside in September so they're ready to plant out when the frosts have gone (if you get them). I've found, the earlier you plant in the season, the more success you have with them.
"

"Bad luck NellyMary - but you have turned lemons into lemonade . Years ago I made some little rustic nests & baskets with grasses etc but can't remember now what I used. My daughter made some fabulous baskets more recently using great bundles of dried grasses/weeds etc - she kind of bunched some together in a long bundle (if that makes sense !) & wrapped them with strips of old fabrics - not so much as to totally cover the grasses, but enough to hold them together...kept adding grasses & kept wrapping. I think she formed it into basket shape as she went, using a large needle & strong thread to hold the layers together. The fabric intertwined with the dried grasses looked great. "
 
 
I have finished pulling down the Loofah vines, better luck next season hey?
I made a wreath out of the rest of the vines....
 
 
 

I like the wreath best, I would have preferred Loofah, but at least I have something to show for my efforts.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...