WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cottonseed Oil Soap - Makes 6 Litres

This recipe makes 6 litres of soap. Make sure you have enough moulds before starting...any flat containers will do as long as you spray with cooking spray first...

Find a fish and chip shop that cooks with cottonseed oil, and ask them nicely for some used oil...its probably a good idea to take a 2 litre container with you.....they will probably let you have some for nothing....because it just gets taken away.

Wearing gloves.....In a 10 Litre bucket, pour in 4 Litres of unchlorinated water.....to this add a 500gram container of Caustic Soda......and stir until dissolved..(being careful not to splash).....Now pour 2 litres of recycled Cottonseed Oil into bucket, and stir until you get a trace.......this would be quicker if you use a stick mixer.....Pour into moulds, cover and wrap in a blanket.....remove from moulds the next day and cut into usable sized slabs.....allow to cure on racks for a few months before using.

Hope you find a fish and chip shop that uses cottonseed oil.

a mild lather can be made.....excellent to use grated for all your extra cleaning recipes as it makes so much.

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting to me as I've read elsewhere on the web that cottonseed oil tends to go rancid quickly so it isn't a good choice for soap. I'd love to know how long this soap generally lasts for you - and if you get any "dreaded orange spots" on the soap, etc. Any further comments you'd like to share would be welcome. Thanks! I'll check back and see if you've replied.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...