WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Drying Roses

Mum gave me her Birthday roses (which she got from my DS19) today to discard...little does she know I have kept them and will be drying them out to make her some Pot Pourri..

The art of keeping the colour in a dried rose petal is to not disturb them while they are drying. I used to shuffle them to rotate them while drying, till one time I forgot I had them and left them.....went back and found the colour was so much better.

Gently pull the roses apart, separating all the petals, and clipping the rose head....the rose heads and smaller leaves are good to add to your pot pourri for bulk.....

Leave them all to dry in a draft free area....check in on them from time to time...once they are all dried and crispy, store in an air-tight container....
I will add some dried pot pourri to some organza bags for her for her draws, she likes smelly things in her draws.






This way she gets to keep the flowers her grandson gave her for her birthday for many years to come.

Oh and the scraps...they go into the Bokashi bin of course....or the compost bin.


I have done this with many gifted flowers, I still have some of my nan's rose petals, but the jar is getting very low...I have started adding my own dried Lemon Verbena to her dried roses to make them go further...and the gift bags are getting alot smaller.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely to remember loved ones' floral gifts this way for months to come. Oh....a little correction. I think you mean "drawers". I'm teaching English at the moment, so have a beady eye out for misspellings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, thanks Becca..I had actually considered that spelling, guess I should have listened to myself....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lovely keepsake or remembrance to make from rose petals, or most any thin-petaled flower, is beads.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...