WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Lemon juice for your stockpile

I never pass up the opportunity of free lemons...Thanks Poppy for the lemons off your tree.......I use lots of lemon juice when preserving. Lemon Juice contains plenty of pectin which helps thicken jams and preserves. A good batch of jam usually uses about 1/2 cup of lemon juice....so this is the amount I am freezing this time...I already have smaller amounts frozen in ice-cube trays.

I have an old Breville juicer that I have had for over 20 years...I rarely use my juicer for anything else, but will keep it until it dies....I love my gadgets, especially the ones that save time and elbow grease in the kitchen.

I am actually looking forward to the day this one does give up as I have researched new ones and they are much more superior with a huge shoot that allows you to juice full fruit. Mine has a tiny feed shoot where I need to cut up apples into eight pieces to make them fit. So when my machine dies, it will be a blessing. For now; I just can't see the  point in buying another juicer when this one still works....When the time does come though, I will try to source a second hand one.

Once you get going, it really doesn't take much time at all to juice a bag of lemons...the lemon skins were not so good looking, so they weren't used for my citrus cleaner, but they sure went into my compost bins.

 
I kept some lemons aside to use for Rhubarb Champagne.

Once frozen, these will be placed in a press-seal bag
and put back in the freezer.

The tree I sourced these lemons from has had a bad year...and not all the lemons are healthy....so after cutting them in half, any that were bad went straight to the compost pile. Please don't use the juice from a bad lemon.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...