WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Rain, Rain, Rain

It's pouring rain here today....my list of things to do today need to be adjusted because of that....Instead of hanging the washing on the line today, I will bring out the clothes horses and get to it. The house will look a bit messier than usual and although I have a dryer, I don't care to use it...I don't recall the last time we did use it either. I have two large clothes horses and some that hang over a door too. When it rains for days on end, these are all so handy and I know I'm not eating into the electricity bill.

Other things I will do today:
Sort the seeds I harvested yesterday...Mitzuna, Corn Salad & Bok Choy
Bok Choy
sorry it's blurry
I have a huge pile of papers I also need to sort through and some baking to do too. I folded all the washing yesterday and put a load of towels on the line as well. That lot is all soaked now, so they will probably be there for a few days now.


I ran out of my soup starter the other day, and have already made that this morning. This time I included the following ingredients:

  • 1 big bunch of spring onions (from the garden)
  • 1 large Spanish onion
  • a good cup of minced garlic..(I use the bottled variety because I just don't have time to peel that much garlic)
  • a big bunch of freshly picked parsley (also in the garden)  
  • a bigger bunch of Sorrel (also in the garden) 
  • a small bunch of Marjoram and Thyme (also in the garden)
  • Adding Olive Oil while it is whizzing to make a good spooning consistency. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge. Remember, anything you add will be a time saver....If you have it, add it! I use this starter for many different recipes...I love it on the 2 ingredient pizza dough (oooh I have a good idea for some flat bread to go with dinner tonight) or stirred into cooked pasta. It also makes a delicious dressing too. The list is endless where you can use this starter.


    On Tuesday I was given a recipe for a summer beverage that was also good for you...So I decided try it.

    To 2 litres of water, add the following:
    12 mint leaves
    half a cucumber, sliced
    a teaspoon of ginger (sliced, slivered or grated)
    1 medium lemon, sliced
    Leave this to steep for 24 hours or overnight...then strain, chill and drink.

    It is rather nice once chilled, although my mother wasn't too impressed, although she likes cucumber, it does seem to take over the other flavours a bit.
    Once you strain it, begin again for another 12 hour steep...Now going by flavour, adjust the ingredients to suit your taste. Some ingredients you will be able to use again over a few days, like the ginger and lemon. Remember, there is no sugar in this drink and it is also a mild diuretic. After working in the garden, it was a nice change to chilled water or Kefir water.
    When I begin in the kitchen this-morning, I will remove the cucumber, replace the mint, add more lemon and ginger....but it's good either way.


    I'm off to hang the washing, (inside)...mop the floors, tidy the bedrooms, then back to the kitchen.......
    What are you up to today?

    7 comments:

    1. Hi Narelle! You are such a busy Bee... :) Today, we went to a FREE interactive literacy focussed theatrical production at the library, then home for an afternoon of lessons, some relaxing, some Christmas planning, volunteer planning and we just just made homemade pizzas for supper (in the oven now). That drink looks SO refreshing! Perfect for a warm day :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love the sound of your soup starter!And now you have me wanting vegie and herb pizza for tea tonight!
      Your jobs today sounded the same as mine.....but i also explored the great outdoors and chatted to the chooks with my twins as they weren't happy to be inside!
      Think i might try your drink on the weekend!
      Jode :-)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Interesting that soup starter, I have copied it for future use. We are having a few rainy days too in Perth, and the weeds are just sprouting again,and I picked a dozen snails from the driveway just as I got home from work!! Yuksss

      ReplyDelete
    4. I do the same with the washing, we have a partially covered deck so that's where the clothes horses go. I don't use the dryer unless it's rained all week. Roll on summer!

      ReplyDelete
    5. That drink sounds delicious. Do you let it steep in the fridge, or at room temp?

      ReplyDelete
    6. Snails are popping up everywhere here too..I wish I had chooks to feed them all the grubs I find. I left the drink to steep on the counter for two days worth, but now it has warmed up again, I would put it in the fridge......Mum still doesn't like the cucumber in it...so it's all mine for now...lol..it is refreshing after working in the garden.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...