WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Friday, November 25, 2011

On my mind...Rhubarb

Photo doesn't show how thick they were as well as long.

Many thanks to Rhonda at Down to Earth for this concept.

This is a Friday photo feature that anyone with a blog can join. To take part, post a photo on your own blog, write a short caption explaining it, and link it back to here from your blog by saying you're part of "On my mind". Please write a new post, don't link to an older one. When you've done that, come back here and add a comment below, with  a link to your blog. 

This is the largest I have ever seen my Rhubarb. It is definitely a good season for Rhubarb. I have a few ideas as to what I will use it all for, but I will also share some with a few neighbours too.  This Rhubarb is the very same Rhubarb that was planted at my Nan's house....I have since shared the plants with one of my Aunty's as well. It's also beginning to go to seed, which I will save when it is ready. Another way of sharing out my Nan's Rhubarb.

Yesterday I began two different preserves using Rhubarb, both using 1 kg of the fruit. Both recipes are new to me, so follow along and see where it takes us.

You would think that I have made a bit of a bare patch in the Rhubarb bed now, but you would be mistaken....lol There's just soooo much of it out there, which is great, except I don't like it, Mum does! However, I do enjoy the lovely champage it makes. We make it on and off over the summer holidays.
I haven't tried it in any other form for years, so it may be worth tasting again sometime soon.

Rhubarb and Ginger Jam






................so far so good.

keep an eye out for other Rhubarb recipes coming soon.
What is your favourite way to enjoy Rhubarb? Have you ever made jam from it?

14 comments:

  1. I am not a great fan of rhubarb. I love seeing it grow, the colours are beautiful, but eating it, like you I'd rather not. Your plants look lovely and healthy, Narelle. Enjoy your jam making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not had rhubarb since I was a little girl! I cannot believe how large your rhubarb was and am awaiting recipes!!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rhubard, especially in a rhubarb and apple pie with lots of homemade custard mmmm

    On my mind today are many hooky projects
    http://beccisdomesticbliss.blogspot.com/2011/11/on-my-mind.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had rhubarb for years. I have a plant that is doing well and will soon be ready to pick I think. I also have 3 tiny little plants that I grew from seed a couple of months ago which don't seem to be doing much right now lol, not sure what they are meant to be looking like but they don't really look like rhubarb!!
    My hubby is eagerly awaiting a rhubarb and apple pie, but I am really intrigued with your rhubarb champagne idea,,,,would you mind sharing the recipe ,,,please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite a rhubarb patch! I like Strawberry Rhubarb pie, but haven't had it in years. Maybe next summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be back to see any more rhubarb recipes as hubby loves it and an aunt of his gifts us some but I can't find many recipes apart from rhubarb and apple pie. The rhubarb champagne looks interesting and easy.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love rhubarb; crisps, jams, pies, wine. I just wish mine was as healthy as yours. Enjoy your spring as we are slipping toward winter here in the Pacific Northwest. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I've never tried rhubarb that I know of (unless my nana's snuck it into my food and I didn't know about it) but I'd love to grow it - even if it ends up being fed to the chooks. It looks like such a stately vegetable I think.

    http://barefootbride-thebarefootbride.blogspot.com/2011/11/on-my-mind_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Rhubarb!!! Stewed Rhubarb and Apple cobbler, is my favourite. When I first made it for My now Husband he loved it so much he wanted it as our Wedding cake!!! This season is my first ever growing Rhubarb, My plants are growing really well, Huge in fact, BUT...They are not turning Red? Do you know when they turn Red, Should they always be Red or do they mature to Red when they are ready to pick?

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh yes i love rhubarb champagne too, so easy. our barb is also having a great season over the ditch here in nz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love rhubarb and only last year did we finally get our own plants put in on our farm. I am looking forward to our first harvest next spring!

    I enjoy rhubarb in many forms, and my favorites are rhubarb pie and rhubarb crisp. Yum!

    Your plants look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rhubarb is delicious. I've just put some in this year so hope to have a supply for cooking next year. Definitely going to make your rhubarb and ginger jam and thanks for sharing. My favourite recipe is a beautiful rhubarb cake I learnt to make from a German friend of mine. It's out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the great comments...It seems my reply to you didn't come up....so I thought I had already replied to you all. Sorry...

    OurGangof7: If you click on the blue text which says 'lovely champagne'...it will lead you to a link with the recipe and step-by-step photos.

    HollyG: I don't know of these Rhubarb crisps you mentioned...what are they?

    BarefootBride: Nana's are good for hiding things in their baking. Hugs to you while you deal with your dad. Alzheimers is very cruel to watch.

    Gooseberry Jam: Wow, did your husband win on the wedding cake idea? There are two types of rhubarb, a red and a green. You may have the green one, but mine weren't so red for a long time...the closer to the base, the greener they are. Some years they don't have a deep red at all...just a blend of the green and red.

    Mooberry Farmwife: What is this Rhubarb crisp that you speak of? I must investigate..lol

    serendipity2000: I hope your rhubarb grows up to be just as healthy as mine. I like the sound of your cake recipe from your German friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This particular survey rocks! concerning cleaning associations. A plenitude of thanks identifying with these sorts ofBond cleaning Redfern | Bond cleaning Surry hills | Lease cleaners getting away audit. I figure this article will totally enhance you. It causes me especially to deal with specific issues.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...