WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Another trip to the mushroom farm and a very flat tyre.

I have been pretty busy today...probably over done it again...Oh well...that's what bedtime is for...to recover for the next day..lol....
Here is some of the work I did today....and what an adventure....

First off, I had to empty the trailer of dirt again....There wasn't much left...this load is from filling the new garden in the front yard.....I actually had 5 wheelbarrows of soil left...wow...it didn't look like that much...and I had to have the trailer on the card and heading off by 10.30....
Where do you think I was going with the trailer on?
To get more Mushroom Compost of course. At $3 a bag...and I could get anything from no mushrooms to 2kg from each bag.  How can I resist after the last lot I got? I love fresh mushrooms and they are so healthy for you.

Picture my DS16 and I walking out of the bunker stuffing our faces with freshly picked mushrooms...I had to buy a kilo for an aunty and we just couldn't help it...so fresh.....We're standing outside the bunker waiting for the men to come and load the trailer...eating freshly picked mushrooms...and DS16 turns to me and says...."They just don't get any better than this Mum...they're so fresh, we should buy more"....lol matey...that's why I am buying the bags of compost...I'm not paying $6 kg when in a few days we will have our own....Yep mushies are $6 from the mushroom farm, much cheaper, and much much fresher.
After offloading a few bags to Sonia on the way home,
and some for a neighbour.


On returning home, there was a bus parked across the road, and seeing I only like reversing the trailer from one way....and the bus being in direct path of my sharp turning car....I went to the end of the street, and turned around.  Well, we nearly made it home without any hiccups, and we would have too, if I hadn't hit the gutter when making the u-turn.....Oooops....huge buster with a flat tyre....lucky I don't live on a long street, with that big load of soil in the back; Boy, did it make some noise with each revolution of the tyres....
Oh well, it will give the neighbours something else to talk about hey..lol....
Outof the car, and about 15 minutes later, all is good and the original rim is in the back of the car to go to be replaced. After that I can put the spare back on the front of the trailer.

I thought I would be changing the tyre on the trailer, but you know your boys are growing up when you can just sit back and give instruction...I'm oh so proud. He knows more about the compressor than I do...lol, but I had to show him where to put the jack.






After DS16 changed the tyre, he even helped unpack the trailer and put the compost bags under mums unit....What a gem is he....School holidays can be a blessing. Do you get your children working while they are on their school holidays?
Sorry, it was too hot to do a tutorial on this one....and I still had a lot more to do in the garden....
................................

Like a new bed for the berries...I have a thornless blackberry which is very sad...I have had it for I think two seasons now, and it isn't growing very well....I think maybe, just maybe it doesn't like being WHIPPER SNIPPED...yep...you heard me....DS16 is a bit slap happy with the Whipper Snipper around the poor blackberry vine.....
But before I go any further I am going to make this another post.....so off I go....are you following.....?????




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...