WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Friday, April 1, 2011

Washing Powder

I use Rhonda's Heavy Duty Soap Recipe for all our clothes washing.

HEAVY DUTY WASHING POWDER
For use on worker’s greasy or dirty overalls, football and sports uniforms or fabric that has food spills.
2 cups grated Napisan soap ....(I use Bars of Sard Wonder Soap)
2 cups grated laundry or homemade soap at the moment I am using my home made Cottonseed Oil Soap, but when that runs out, I will use my other homemade soaps)...I also grate my soaps in the whizzer when needed, normally before I wash some dishes..that way I use the soap left behind on the blade and on the whizzer bowl)
2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and store in a plastic container with a lid. Use two tablespoons per wash. The powder will not make suds.
(I then whizz it all into a finer powder in the whizzer, this has stopped the powders and grated soaps separating in the cannister.)

For a very heavily stained load of washing or tradesperson’s clothes, if you have a top loader turn the machine off when the powder is completely dissolved. In a front loader, operate the machine to dissolve the powder and then stop the machine for an hour to soak the clothes. Leave to soak for an hour, or overnight, and then turn the machine on and continue washing as normal.

When washing work clothes, I put them in the machine after tea....and let them soak overnight, turning the machine back on in the morning.....I also soak DS16's school shirts in a fraction of the amount I use in the machine....in a small bucket....It's amazing how dirty that boy can get......I've even put a spoonful in the laundry sink to wash huge pots......don't worry, every thing is rinsed with a mild vinegar solution.
Over-all, I use this washing powder as an all rounder...I used to put a dose of store soaker powder in my machine, as well as the dose of store washing powder....Now I just use this recipe.....and I have a 9kg washing machine, and I use the same tiny cup that came with the old store powders. I have no problems with it dissolving in cold water, but maybe that's because I whizz it first.



If I am doing a lot of cleaning, all cleaning cloths go into a bucket with the same powder....at the end of the day...or even a few days...they all go in the machine to be washed...all done...all clean.
I am very happy with this washing powder.....never going back to store bought powders.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that, will make some tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, look forward to looking around your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just when I needed it, My dad wants to make his own washing powder, as he gets older his skin is getting much to sensitive for commercial brands, we will try this, thanks heaps, and many thanks to Debbie for passing me your link. Glad I found your blog, you are my kind of Girl, Full of great ideas, and Old fashionableness! I will make myself sometime in the next few days to go through your blog, thanks for sharing. Karen GBJ :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...