WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Monday, April 4, 2011

What's happening in my garden

Walking around the garden today, I wonder, will I have a winter garden? Due to the huge rainfall we have had, I lost alot of seedlings...and plants...I know I have time to put more in, and I will soon.....
I had huge plans to bake most of the day today....but on rising this morning, I found I just may have overdone it yesterday......I did overdo it yesterday and found myself looking for pain killers in the early hours of the morning.  I'll get over it...tomorrow will be the baking day instead.....I will still get to bake...it may just take a few extra days to complete everything on my list....

A few weeks back, I was discussing with another local gardener about Choko's not flowering...well guess what? My choko plant is producing fruit....I am so pleased as this is the main fruit I use to make pickles, that and jam melon, which I didn't find this year....



I have yet to grow the jam melon, due to space......or lack of .......
I think I will put in pumpkin this coming September as well as my Loofah vine. I have to try again to grow Loofah..Last year was less than perfect...losing all flowers in bad weather.

Here are some more photos of what is still growing in my garden.

Chinese Cabbage are doing well...Although I  shared some with the rats.


Comfrey & Radishes

These are Poor Mans Beans...they are like a rough  prickly looking snow pea...
and need to be cooked before eating.
These have been very slow to grow...and still are not flowering. 

Comfrey

Climbing Butter Beans...went mouldy after all the rain.

Parsnip seeds are up.

Stevia....pick it when you think it is lush...like I should have.
Now look at it...Yuck...too far gone to dehydrate now.

Stevia...on a brighter note though...it looks like I will get seed.

Carrots are finally up.

Climbing Spinach...see the one next to it...
look close..above the date on the left.
it never grew.

Lemons on my Lemon/Lime Miniature Tree...
The front lemon is looking like it is turning yellow.

Two problems with the Lemon/Lime tree...
A scale thingy..and a caterpillar that looks like a  bird poo.


Here is some of the front garden I finished filling yesterday.
I have a full row of garlic planted out..
.they are equally spaced apart the entire length of the garden bed. 
I bought a few garlic heads from the local market....
Australian Garlic...pulled them all apart and now I have lots of Australian Garlic growing.
I also added one of my Aloe Vera Plants.


Well, that's most of my garden...
It's never looked this bad...there are so many gaps....
I hope it comes back...I want a winter garden.

I need to gather some flower seeds now to plant in the garden....
I will also have to plant more winter veg seeds now.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. 














3 comments:

  1. I think we have all had too much rain for this time of year and my garden is looking worse for wear too. The climbing spinach do you just eat the leaves, I saw a plant the other day at the markets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, yes you just pick as it grows...this type is a first for me...as I was looking at space savers....thinking of the photo I seen, I think I will wait till its more established though before I start picking. Just hope its a yummy one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...