WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

I had a busy morning yesterday..and the new garden bed is really coming along in the front yard. I even re-potted the Aloe Vera plants into the small black plastic plant bags that I got off free-cycle.

I had put a request on Freecycle asking for small pots or seedling pots..and a lady replied with a huge amount of these little black bags....They are great and although they are heavy plastic.....they were going to be landfill if no-one wanted them....She had seen them just down the road from where she lived where a nursery had closed up shop. I get to keep my original pots and never need to find pots of this size ever again...I literally have easy two thousand of these bags.

I had lost all my little pots to the Aloe Vera and had gotten rid of heaps of Aloe on Freecycle..which I posted about earlier....but I still have plenty of Aloe....so I am going to put a sign out the front to sell the rest for $2 a plant...I think they will sell...I priced one the same size at Bunnings and it was $7...Wow!!



I also put out a request for Fowlers Vacola Jars....and found a lovely couple going to visit her father in Bathurst on the weekend. Apparently her father has a heap of jars and they could bring some back for me. How lovely of them...Well here they are..and there are still a 44 gallon drum full of them, if I need more. They make the trip every few weeks.



Below I started using the jars on the same day...
Left: Alcohol Spirit with fruit Salad Sage...and 
Right: Alcohol Spirit with Rosemary....
I think it is called a tincture..
But anyway..If they work...I am hoping to be able to eliminate bathroom sprays. 
I also covered them with plastic and secured with an elastic band...
They are aging on a sunny windowsill and I will check them in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...