WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Baking with Pumpkin & a Fly trap

No, I'm not baking with a fly trap...lol   Two separate things, but it got you wondering ..hey?

I have been baking with pumpkin today...I said that I had to get some baking done. When I woke this morning I found it was raining outside...there goes my plans for planting....so I did the next best thing to gardening....Baking!!!!

I was given two large Pumpkins and a Marrow two weeks ago....so knowing they are there, waiting for me...I thought I better use up some of the stock of mashed pumpkin I have in my freezer...
When I cut a pumpkin I steam the rest of the pumpkin and put 1 cup of mash in each press-seal bag.(which I wash and re-use). I use the sandwich size...last time I did this...I put away 12 bags of pumpkin...they stack neat in the freezer and are defrosted in a few minutes because I keep them all nice and flat while they freeze. I also do this with bananas...(when they were cheaper)...before the floods.


So first in the oven was the Pumpkin bread loaf...but as I want these for work and school snacks...I used my trusty mini loaf pans...
Made 15 with 1/3 cup of mix in each pan

 Then I made the Mini Pumpkin Mufffins recipe....but last time I made these, they were disappearing 4 or 5 at a time, so now I will try this size....and "No, you can't have two" is what I am saying now...

Made 23 with 1/2 cup of mix in each pan

Then I added more heat to the oven and cooked a batch of Pumpkin Scones...They are just so light and yummy....DS16 walked n the door from school...and raced to the kitchen with his nose in the air..yelling, "I can smell scones....., Where are they, Can I have one?"  Such exciting, It makes me feel good.
Made 14 scones.
 **********************************

While browsing through some more blogs today...I came across an ingenious way to get rid of those little fruit bugs that can hang around in your kitchen...Err...maybe I left a bowl of food scraps on the bench uncovered,  which attracted them and now I can't seem to get rid of them.....
I even resorted to spraying fly-spray, which I hate using....and they just relocated to the other end of the kitchen....I have a sticky strip hanging for flys...they can land on that and still take off....and yes...it's still sticky.
These little creatures have been annoying me for two days now...
.It's time for them to leave...The holiday is over!!!
So I say a huge thank-you to Lindsey Evans at Passionate Home Making for sharing the idea of how to trap them.
Here is a photo of the finished trap...I also added some yeast too.

Apple Cider Vinegar,
a few pieces of Banana (I only had dehydrated Banana)
and a teaspoon of yeast.

Too easy, and its working already. Yayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...